African Safaris to
Discover the Wild Heart of Africa: Tanzania Safari Adventures
Tanzania occupies a special place in the hearts of old and new Africa enthusiasts. Its towns and cities offer a quieter charm than Kenya’s bustling hubs, while its captivating landscapes rival Kenya’s natural beauty. Shelter Tours’ safaris, whether customized or in small groups, consistently pay homage to Tanzania’s crown jewel—the Serengeti. This vast savannah, part of the Serengeti-Maasai Mara ecosystem, reigns as the undisputed capital of the animal kingdom, with its endless skies and moments of grace. Then, there’s the Ngorongoro Crater, a mesmerizing Lost World teeming with wildlife, where living in the highlands feels like residing among the clouds—a place where you wake up thinking, “Here I am, where I belong.”
Tanzania At a Glance
- Location: Eastern Africa, bordered by Kenya to the north, Uganda to the northwest, Rwanda, Burundi, and the Democratic Republic of the Congo to the west, Zambia, Malawi, and Mozambique to the south, and the Indian Ocean to the east.
- Capital: Dodoma
- Largest City: Dar es Salaam
- Population: Approximately 61 million people (as of 2021)
- Official Languages: Swahili and English
- Currency: Tanzanian Shilling (TZS)
- Time Zone: East Africa Time (EAT, UTC+3)
- Climate: Tanzania experiences a range of climates, from tropical on the coast to arid in the interior. The country’s climate varies with altitude.
Things to Do in Tanzania
- Safari Adventures: Tanzania is renowned for its national parks and wildlife, including the Serengeti National Park, Ngorongoro Conservation Area, and Tarangire National Park, offering incredible opportunities for wildlife safaris.
- Climb Mount Kilimanjaro: Embark on a challenging trek to the summit of Mount Kilimanjaro, the highest peak in Africa.
- Zanzibar Island: Visit the picturesque Zanzibar Archipelago for its stunning beaches, historical Stone Town, and vibrant culture.
- Explore Dar es Salaam: Tanzania’s largest city offers a mix of modern amenities and historical sites like the National Museum and Village Museum.
- Ngorongoro Crater: Witness the unique wildlife of the Ngorongoro Crater, often referred to as the “eighth wonder of the world.”
- Visit Maasai Villages: Experience the Maasai culture by visiting their villages and learning about their traditional way of life.
Best Museums in Tanzania
- National Museum of Tanzania (Dar es Salaam): Discover Tanzania’s history, archaeology, and culture through exhibits on paleontology, ethnography, and art.
- Old Fort (Stone Town, Zanzibar): Explore this historic fort and museum, which provides insights into Zanzibar’s history and culture.
Best Tanzanian Food
- Nyama Choma: Grilled meat, similar to Kenya, is a favorite Tanzanian dish, often accompanied by sauces and vegetables.
- Ugali: Tanzanians also enjoy ugali, a maize porridge, as a staple food.
- Pilau: A fragrant and spiced rice dish typically prepared with meat and aromatic spices.
- Mishkaki: Skewered and grilled meat, usually marinated for extra flavor.
- Zanzibari Cuisine: Try dishes like seafood curry, biryani, and the famous Zanzibari pizza, a unique fusion dish.
What to Pack for Tanzania
- Lightweight Clothing: Pack lightweight, breathable clothing suitable for the climate, with some warmer clothes for cooler evenings or highland areas.
- Comfortable Footwear: Bring comfortable walking shoes or hiking boots for outdoor activities and sandals for beach outings.
- Insect Repellent: Tanzania, especially in coastal and inland areas, can have mosquitoes, so insect repellent is essential.
- Sun Protection: Sunscreen, sunglasses, and a wide-brimmed hat are crucial for sun protection.
- Travel Adapters: Tanzania uses Type D and Type G electrical outlets, so bring the appropriate travel adapter if needed.
- First Aid Kit: Carry a basic first aid kit with items like bandages, antiseptic wipes, and any personal medications you may need.
- Travel Documents: Ensure you have your passport, visa (if required), and copies of important documents like travel insurance and flight itineraries.
Our Top Tanzania Adventures
Explore extraordinary destinations with Shelter Tours’ unbeatable travel deals. Unleash wanderlust and create memories with our exclusive offers.